Swaying frame earrings
Swarovski sew-on stones swing in the breeze with these easy wire frames. Meanwhile, decorative wraps and chain dangles draw the eye down past every elegant inch of the design.
Earrings 3 1⁄2 in. (89 mm)
- Nontarnish copper wire, round (vintage bronze)
- 16 in. (40.6 cm) 18-gauge (1.0 mm)
- 88 in. (2.2 m) 24-gauge (0.5 mm)
- 2 9 x 18 mm space-cut sew-on stones (Swarovski #3251, crystal bronze shade)
- 12 in. (30.5 cm) 2 x 3 mm cable chain (antique copper)
- Pair of ear wires (vintage bronze)
- 2 pairs of chainnose pliers
- Nylon-jaw pliers
- Roundnose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Steel bench block or anvil
TIP: If your stone has foiling on the back, do not tape the foiling.
TIP: Hold the stone firmly in place while you wrap so it does not shift position in the frame. You can also use the second wire from step 14 to begin wrapping the other end of the stone, as shown in (PHOTO L) and (PHOTO M), to help stabilize the stone.
Design option: For an even sparklier version of these earrings, add crystal rondelles along the sides of the frames and as dangles at the bottom of the chains.
About the author
Melissa Grakowsky Shippee fell in love with beading in 2007. Melissa teaches beaded jewelry workshops all over the world and sells patterns through her website, www.mgsdesigns.net. This year, she will be teaching two classes at the 2017 Bead&Button Show.
FIND OUT MORE: